We will have elections again in September for a new APECS Executive Committee for the 2014-2015 term!
APECS is an internationally respected association and is recognized as one of the major legacies of the 4th International Polar Year. Our great members, particularly those of our past APECS Executive Committees and Councils have largely contributed to this through their excellent and hard work. To maintain this high level of success, and bring new vision and ideas to APECS, it is truly important for you to be active in this election.
Now YOU get the chance to influence the future of polar research and we want to encourage YOU to apply for the new APECS Executive Committee or nominate someone you think would do a great job of shaping our organisation!
What does the APECS Executive Committee do and who can apply?
Check out the APECS website at http://www.apecs.is/about-apecs/leadership/executive-commitee for more information.
What is the timeline for the election?
The 2014-2015 APECS Executive Committee elections timeline is as follows:
28 July – 7 September 2014: Accepting nominations
8 – 9 September 2014: Preparation of review and voting period
10 – 21 September 2014: Review of applications by APECS Council: current APECS Council members have the chance for a Question & Answer session both via email and during a conference call with the ExCom applicants. Important: Applicants have to be available for questions and the conference call during this time.
22 – 26 September 2014: Voting by the APECS Council members on the ExCom applicants
27 – 30 September 2014: Final vote count and review of votes, transition process
1 October 2014: official announcement of the 2014-2015 APECS Executive Committee and the 2014 – 2015 APECS President
How do you apply?
1) Contact the election coordinators before submitting your application to discuss your plans and to find out more about the ExCom and how you could potentially contribute to it in the coming term. Just send a message to email@example.com
2) Submit your application containing:
- basic biographical information (name, institution, contact details, country of residence and origin),
- a brief biosketch that gives us a better picture of who you are (e.g. research theme and interests, your hobbies, etc.),
- a photo of yourself that we can use for the APECS website,
- the names and contact details of two referees, and
- a statement of interest detailing why you are interested in serving on the APECS Executive Committee and how you would like to contribute to APECS as a member of the APECS Executive Committee. Please also include any past involvement in organizing APECS activities, or other exeriences that would make you a good candidate. An outline of what we are specifically hoping you address in your statement of interest and general information about the election procedure is available on the APECS website at http://www.apecs.is/about-apecs/leadership/executive-commitee
Applications for the APECS Executive Committee will be accepted starting 28 July 2014 (if you are on fieldwork you can already send in your application earlier). Please email your application as one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is 7 September 2014!
If you have any questions about what it means to be a member of the APECS Executive Committee, the application process or any other queries, please send an email to email@example.com.