- Postdoctoral Researcher
The candidate will join the group implementing the project NCN SONATA BIS "Applied remote sensing and geophysical imaging in recognition of the changes of the water balance in High Arctic catchments" at the Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences. The project is scheduled for 48 months. The main objective of the project is a comprehensive water balance study in two High Arctic mountainous catchments located in Svalbard to investigate the heterogeneity in the cryo-hydro-meteorological conditions and their seasonal dynamics.
We propose an integrated approach taking into account the freeze-thaw cycles of water in the soil, to describe and model hydrological processes. These cycles influence river discharge by changing the hydraulic properties of the soil and by either contributing to or preventing infiltration. It is planned to use cryo-hydro-geological models for a better understanding of processes linking hydrology and permafrost under varying climatic conditions. In particular, we would like to analyse (i) an influence of active layer thickness on the surface and near-surface water storage, drainage, and routing; (ii) test the effect of surface water, soil moisture, and groundwater on permafrost distribution and degradation; (iii) analyse how active layer thickness changes in the past have altered observed discharge patterns; (iv) and how future permafrost degradation will influence the hydrological regime.
- PhD in Earth sciences or related sciences obtained a maximum of 7 years before starting work on the project. It is allowed to submit applications by persons who obtain a doctoral degree before the date of commencement of work.
- The candidate should have knowledge of permafrost and hydrology and will be expected to work partially in the Arctic.
- The ideal candidate should be familiar with hydrological measurements, remote sensing methods, geophysical methods, statistical data analysis, and be familiar with programming (MATLAB, R, Python) and GIS (e.g. ArcGIS).
- Experience in hydrogeological modelling and/or modelling of perennial permafrost and/or cryo-hydro-geological modelling (eg CryoGRID 3, ATS).
- Fluent English enabling the presentation of results at international conferences, communication, reading and writing scientific papers.
- Outstanding scientific achievements.
- Motivation for scientific work.
Conditions of employment:
- The amount of funds for employment is PLN 10,000 gross / month (which is approximately PLN 6,000 net)
- Stage dimension: full time
- Employment period - 48 months
- Employment is planned from 1st of October 2021
- According to the NCN conditions, during the employment period, a post-doc may not receive any other remuneration from the NCN funds.
The work will be carried out under the supervision of:
More information on the positions and how to apply: