The Institute of Social and Economic Research (ISER) in the College of Business and Public Policy at the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) invites applications for the position of Director. This full-time, permanent position will be located in Anchorage, Alaska.
The ISER Director will coordinate research activities, both within the institute and with other institutions and agencies, and will supervise a multi-disciplinary team consisting of 30 people, including faculty, administrative and research staff, and student researchers. The successful candidate’s current research agenda should add to or complement ISER’s focal research areas. The institute expects the ISER Director to be recognized on and off campus as knowledgeable about Alaska public policy issues. A related expectation is the director facilitating ISER’s involvement in UAA’s new Master of Public Policy program. Most importantly, the director will work with institute researchers and staff to shape ISER’s future research agenda in the context of the rapid social, economic, and environmental change Alaska is currently experiencing.
Required qualifications include:
- PhD or terminal degree in a discipline that is relevant to ISER’s mission,
- Familiarity with policy-oriented applied research,
- Record of high-quality research and publications relevant to ISER’s research foci,
- Ability to generate externally funded opportunities for the institute relevant to its mission,
- Excellent communication and organizational skills,
- Ability to generate support for and awareness of ISER across the University of Alaska and with external agencies and constituencies,
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills, and
- Commitment to a shared governance approach.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience leading research teams;
- Understanding of Alaska’s economy, culturally diverse society, and current policy context; and
- Familiarity with research developments and opportunities in Alaska, the Arctic, or in similar regions.
Applications must be submitted online and include:
- A one-page cover letter explaining their interest and qualifications for the position;
- A current curriculum vita or resume (maximum five pages); and
- The names, titles, and contact information for three references.
Application deadline: 24 September 2021
For questions, contact: