To Friday 16 March 2018
COST action ES1404 on snow (http://harmosnow.eu) will arrange a spring school on snow, focusing on snow data assimilation. The training school will be held in Bormio, Italy in March 12-16, 2018.
Deadline is January 26, 2018!
To learn and discuss the state-of-the art and developing snow data assimilation methods for NWP, hydrology and detailed snowpack models:
- Importance of snow data assimilation for forecast and applications
- Availability, uncertainties and usage of observations for the models
- Methods of objective analysis and data assimilation
- Using of observations for model evaluation
- PhD and graduate level students who want to learn data assimilation methods for snow
- Modellers who want to advance their skill in data assimilation and understand the snow observations better
- Observation specialists who want to learn how the observations are used in models
The participants should have a basic knowledge in snow physics and numerical methods. Applicants from COST inclusiveness countries (Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Republic of Serbia and Turkey) are welcome
COST will cover all local expenses including accommodation, food and the field trip. The flight tickets and local transport (up to 300 euros) will be covered by application when necessary. In special cases the travel budget can be extended.
Lectures, practical exercises and a field trip on:
- Introduction to NWP/hydrology/snowpack models and their snow data assimilation
- Methods of data assimilation
- Snow observations applicable for data assimilation in the models
- Snow-related applications
COST ES-1404 considers that the school programme is equivalent to 3 ECTS.
For application procedure, see the school flyer:
Please send your motivation letter and CV to Cemal.Melih.Tanis at fmi.fi and Ekaterina.Kurzeneva at fmi.fi.