Participants are welcome to submit an abstract to the following presentation formats:
- An oral presentation via live web-based video conference. Each speaker will have 10 minutes (strict) to present their work and 5 minutes for fielding questions; this time limit also holds for presentations with more than one speaker. All oral presentations must be live as we will not accept pre-recorded presentations. All sessions of the online conference will be recorded live and made available in video format post-conference.
- An open category that provides an opportunity to showcase innovative ways of communicating your science in under 5 minutes (strict). There will be 5 minutes for fielding questions. This section is open to various forms of media, including but not limited to video, infographics and/or cartoons. The more inventive the better! Entries will be shown live and, if appropriate, presenters will have up to 5 minutes to talk through their submission; video submissions must be under 5 minutes. All recordings will be made available post-conference.
- All abstracts will be written in English
- Abstract must be limited to 250 words
- Include your name and any other authors involved in this presentation
- Include your institution and your additional author institutions
- Include a short title which summarises your presentation
- State whether you are submitting your abstract to the SciCom or oral presentation category (or both)
- State which country and time zone you will be presenting from, so that we can find a sensible time slot for your presentation
APECS will award THREE prizes this year!
- Best Oral Presentation: APECS will award two prizes for Best Oral Presentation, one for the best Antarctic-themed presentation and the other for the best Arctic-themed presentation. Each winner will receive a travel award of 250 Euros to be used towards travel to a polar-related conference of their choice.
- Best Innovative Communication: APECS will award one prize to the most innovative presentation in the digital media category. The winner will receive a travel award of 100 Euros to be used towards travel to a polar-related conference of their choice. Please see the grading criteria for the prizes below.
Thank you to APECS and the Antarctic Science Ltd. for sponsoring the conference prizes.
- Each submission must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- The participant shall retain the copyright to entries entered for the conference, however grants APECS unrestricted rights to use and edit submitted materials as needed for organizational purposes with or without explicit attribution.
- By submitting an entry for the competition, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations and granted the organizer, APECS, royalty-free permissions to use any entry for promotional, commercial, or educational purposes. APECS will credit the creator for any use of a video/infographic/artwork.
- Any people featured in films must also accept and agree with the rules and regulations of this competition. All people in the film must be aware of the materials you are submitting if they contain their likeness. It is the entire and sole responsibility of the entry submitter in the competition to inform and to obtain the appropriate legal permissions of all the people in any submitted videos. Any depiction of minors must include explicit, written parental consent. Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
- If music is used, it is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure they are following proper copyright laws. (You can find a lot of free music for commercial use.) Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
You can find the evaluation criteria for the presentations for all three categories of prizes here.