In this category we ask APECS members to nominate a mentor who has been an outstanding mentor to them during their career.
To be considered, a candidate must be nominated by one or more current/former student(s), peer(s) and/or colleague(s). Self-nominations will not be accepted.
To be eligible for this award the candidate must have contributed significantly over a period of several years to the mentoring and fostering of early career researchers involved in research in the Polar or Alpine regions or the wider Cryosphere. This award may be awarded to mentors from a variety of sectors, including academia, industry, the public sector, etc. Eligibility is not limited to those that are directly connected with APECS.
All nomination packages must be provided in English. Nomination packages must be submitted via the online nomination form and must include as supplementary material (to be uploaded via the form):
- CV of the nominee
- Photo of the nominee (to be used on the APECS website)
- Nomination letter highlighting the nominee’s mentoring to you and other early career researchers addressing questions such as (it is not required that the nomination letter address every question on this list):
- The commitment of the nominee towards early career researchers (e.g. time commitment, length of service, personal motivation, how many mentees has he or she supported)
- Examples of the types of mentoring activities the nominee did (e.g. field work, conferences, meetings, leadership opportunities, community interactions) and how the nominee engaged with early career researchers to provide meaningful training and career development?
- What has been particular/original in the nominee’s support/mentoring?
- Has the nominee contributed to building connections among early career polar researchers? And if yes how?
- Examples of how the mentoring impacted you or other early career researchers that worked with the nominee.
- If you know, has the nominee participated in APECS activities ((via mentor panels, workshops, webinars, through the mentor database, etc.)?
- Any other relevant info about why the nominee should be awarded the APECS Mentor Award.
- Minimum of two support letter from another member or colleague (e.g. students / faculty / colleagues who have also benefitted from the support of the nominee).