APECS is looking for a new director ... apply today for a career opportunity of a lifetime!!!
The University of Tromsø, Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economics has a position vacant as APECS Director – temporary position until 31.12. 2014. The period of appointment may be extended.
Due to the commencement of a new contract to fund the Directorate in Tromsø, the Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) is seeking a new director to lead the organization to new heights.
The APECS Directorate is based at the University of Tromsø, Norway in a vibrant environment with other secretariats and researchers. The position is funded for 2 years. The successful candidate is expected to find support beyond this period. As the full-time employee of APECS, the Director is tasked with guiding the development and administration of the organization, along with overseeing and managing all APECS activities, finances and events.
In its 6+ years, APECS has evolved into the pre-eminent international and interdisciplinary organization for polar early career researchers, now comprising around 4000 members from 76 countries including students, postdoctoral researchers, early faculty members, educators and others with interests in Polar Regions and the Cryosphere. In collaboration with international organizations, leading polar researchers, educators, and funding agencies, APECS aims to enhance career development opportunities, stimulate research collaborations, and develop effective future leaders in polar research, education and outreach to provide a continuum of knowledge for generations to come.
For more information read the collection of our activities and the most recent annual report.
The successful applicant will have the following skills and experience:
- A post-bachelors degree in a relevant field, preferably at the PhD level, but applicants at the Masters level will be considered.
- Excellent presentation skills, adept networking, and confidence speaking in large and intimate groups.
- Experience in mentoring, conducting research, science education, and outreach.
- Strong written communication skills and evidence of experience in writing reports, funding applications and planning/scoping documents.
- Willingness to live in Tromsø, Norway (required) and travel on a regular basis nationally and internationally (approximately 1 week per month).
- Experience in polar science
- Experience in managing people and projects, including experience with advocacy, conflict management and negotiations.
- 3+ years of experience in research, education, science management and/or policy.
- Knowledge of Joomla! or similar Web content-management systems.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the relevant legal environment.
- A proven ability to apply new (particularly internet-based) technology to manage projects and a willingness to learn new software and computer skills.
- Strong organisational and human resource management skills with excellent interpersonal and team building skills.
- Knowledge of APECS and its activities is desirable
- Ability to engage young researchers and works closely with the Council and Executive Committee to encourage participation and new ideas from new APECS members
Applicant must have a good command of English both written and verbal.
Application deadline is June 6, 2013.
Please apply at JobbNorge at: http://www.jobbnorge.no/job.aspx?jobid=93928