During the APECS International Polar Week, March 15-21 2020, we invited all the APECS members to participate to the #PolarWeekPhoto competition The idea was to submit a shot you took in the Arctic or Antarctic areas.
- Pick your best Arctic/Antarctic photo;
- Name, affiliation, and email of the person entering the competition.
- A short description of your photo (150-characters maximum).
- Let us know if you are interested in your image being featured on our APECS Instagram (@apecs.polar) or Twitter (@Polar_Research) account. If so, include your handle.
- Spread the word about the APECS International Polar Week and hope that your photo gets the most votes!
The deadline for submission was the 18th of March, 2020, 23:59 GMT. The vote will take place after the Polar Week and the photo getting the most votes will be the winner! Before submitting please read the rules and regulations.
Rules and Regulations:
- The competition is open only to APECS members. If you are still not a member, please join before submitting you photo. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- Images that have won prizes in prior APECS competitions, or have been used for commercial purposes will not be eligible.
- If you have won a prize in an APECS photo competition in the last 2 years, you are not eligible to submit a photo.
- Members of the Polar Week organizing committee are not eligible to submit a photo.
- The submission email has to include: Name, affiliation and email address of the person entering the contest, and a short description about the image(s) (150-characters maximum).
- Indicate if you are interested in your image being featured on our APECS Instagram account (@apecs.polar) or Twitter account (@Polar_Resaerch). If so, include your Instagram or Twitter handle.
- Please give information if we are allowed to use the photo on the APECS website and/or APECS communication channels and/or for non-commercial promotional materials (e.g. flyers, posters) after the photo challenge.
- Each participant can submit 1 image.
- Images have to be in JPEG format (preferably with resolution of more than 300 dpi) and without any watermarks.
The submission deadline is the 18th of March, 2020, 23:59 GMT.
- Each image submitted must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- The participant shall retain the copyright to the picture entered for the competition, however grants APECS unrestricted rights to use and edit submitted materials as needed for organizational purposes with or without explicit attribution.
- By submitting an image for the competition, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations of the competition and granted the organizer, APECS, royalty-free permissions to use the picture for promotional, commercial, or educational purposes (e.g. website, flyers, postcards). APECS will credit the creator for any use of the pictures.
- Any People featured in the image must accept and agree with the rules and regulations of this competition. It is the entire and sole responsibility of the participants in the competition to inform and to to obtain the appropriate legal permissions of all the people featured in the submitted images. Any depiction of minors (persons under the age of 18) that are identifiable in the photo must include explicit, written parental consent. Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
- The participant further gives his consent that his/her personal data included in the submission will be used for the aforementioned purposes.
- The pictures will be uploaded, by the organizers, to the APECS website, where a public online voting poll will be held, during the Polar Week (15th to 21th of March 2020).
- The image with most votes will be the winner.
- Results of the competition will be posted on the APECS website and social media, and the winners will also be notified via email at the end of the Polar Week (after 21th March 2020).
- APECS will award a prize to the winner.
- The winner will receive a prize of €100 (One hundred Euros). These funds can be only used towards travel costs to a polar or cryosphere related conference of your choice within 1 year of the date of the award.
- After the release of results the winners will be contacted by the APECS International Directorate Office with instructions for claiming the prize.