- Research Scientist
The Environmental and Geophysical Sciences (ENGEOS) Lab at Khalifa University seeks to hire a Research Engineer experienced in Data Science to enhance the lab activities and capabilities in the analysis and applications of Earth Science data. The position is meant to empower ENGEOS lab scientific activities with AI & Machine Learning solutions. The candidate will be willing to cross disciplines and support ENGEOS lab needs in geophysics, climate science, remote sensing, weather and numerical modelling, provided domain knowledge from the different researchers in the team. In addition to serving as research/visualization support, successful applicants have a proven capability to propose new solutions to meet the scientific research requirements in an efficeint way. Similarly, the candidate will be willing to actively learn new techniques that enhance the Lab research and technical portfolio. In particular, machine learning, deep machine learning, artificial intellegince, GIS, advanced 3D visualization and mapping, inverse modeling, and optimization are central to ENGEOS lab current and future needs.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- To advance and foster ENGEOS lab capabilities in Machine learning and AI applications in Earth and climate sciences.
- To collaborate with ENGEOS team members and support staff as appropriate.
- To attend and contribute to relevant meetings.
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the research group activities.
- Advanced analysis of satellites images and data,
- Analysis of ground-based remote-sensing data,
- Analysis of numerical modeling and reanalysis outputs.
Qualifications, Experience & Person Specification
- A PhD or MS degree in Computer Science, Information Science or a closely related discipline.
- Strong programming skills.
- Advanced skills in coding for machine learning and datamining techniques.
- Extensive experience (more than 3 years) in Data Science,
- Experience in the analysis of advanced satellite data and images,
- Experience in running regional and global numerical modeling,
- Experience in analyzing numerical model outputs.
- Familiarity with satellite remote sensing techniques with applications to the environments.
- A clear commitment to contributing to the research environment of the research group.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda.
- A high degree of autonomy and must be able to work effectively without close supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English for interacting with a diverse group of researchers and students.
- Ability to manage the workload, prioritize time and identify key issues.
- Scientific creativity and problem-solving skills are essential.
- A proven ability to well integrate in a diverse work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and communication skills.
- Focused, well organized and proven problem-solving skills.
- A good understanding of the research environment in a university.
- Proactive, independent with a positive attitude.
- A committed team-player, flexible and adaptive.
For consideration, applicants need to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae with a full list of professional achievements and publications, a statement of work highlighting past and current experiences and at least two letters of reference, all in PDF format.