University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is currently hiring for the role of DEI Specialist to provide support and training for UCAR employees in areas of diversity, equity and inclusion. At UCAR, you will work alongside a dedicated team of professionals conducting critical research and community outreach to solve complex Earth system science problems including climate change, air pollution, extreme weather, floods, drought, wildfires, and space weather, all with the goal of improving human life and reducing economic loss.
Where You Will Work:
This position is located in the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (ODEI). Established in 2017, ODEI is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of strategies, programs and initiatives to:
- Increase the diversity of UCAR/NCAR’s workforce at all levels
- Ensure a culture of inclusion where everyone’s ideas and voices are heard and valued;
- Integrate diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) into the way we conduct our research and to establish partnerships with institutions and communities who have been historically excluded from science
- Measure progress and integrate DEI into the fabric of our organization.
You can learn more about ODEI's work at https://www.ucar.edu/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion
Location. This will be a hybrid or onsite position located in Colorado with the expectation of some amount of time spent onsite at the Boulder NCAR/UCAR campus and at events and activities in the Denver Metro area. Partial relocation will be provided.
Position Type: Full-time
Hiring Range: $60,471-$76,840
Full Salary Range: $60,471-$98,266
Work Authorization: U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) is required for this position. UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa (e.g., J-1, H1-B, etc.) for this position.
In addition to medical, dental, vision, retirement, and life insurance, UCAR offers a variety of programs focused on work-life balance and professional personal development. These include:
- Tuition Assistance and other professional development opportunities
- Starting minimum of 20 days of personal time off
- 10 paid holidays
- 10 days of sick leave every year
- 14 weeks of paid parental leave
- Company contributes 10% of gross pay into retirement; 100% fully vested on day one
- EcoPass for local Colorado residents to use the Denver and Boulder-area transit system at no cost
What You Will Do:
UCAR’s Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) is seeking a new team member to provide organizational support and training for UCAR employees in areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion under the leadership of the Chief DEI Officer (CDO). The successful candidate will be joining a team of two other DEI professionals in a supportive environment that prioritizes teamwork, psychological safety, creativity, and staff development.
If you are the successful applicant for this position, your main task will be to lead the development and administrative functions of theUCAR/NCAR Equity and Inclusion (UNEION) program (currently serving its 15th cohort), and to assist in the development, deployment, and facilitation of additional trainings around DEI topics, including but not limited to Bystander Intervention, and DEI aspects of supervisor training. These courses cover topics such as power, privilege, identity, gender and gender identity, sexism, homophobia and transphobia, race and racism, difficult conversations, and bystander intervention barriers and techniques.
In addition, you will be the proxy for the CDO in multiple other aspects of running ODEI, acting in a leadership role when the CDO is not available and contributing to high-level planning and support including strategic planning, Workplace Culture Survey planning and implementation, employee support and coaching,and other various duties as needed. We’re a small team with a really varied set of responsibilities at UCAR, and you’ll need to be flexible to help with anything that comes up that lands in our areas of responsibility.
ODEI aims to ground all of our work in the research literature, and so familiarity with existing research and best practices would be highly beneficial.
We are particularly interested in applicants with personal and/or professional experience in facilitating conversations about social justice topics, with an emphasis on the experiences of people with disabilities, and/or Latine and/or Indigenous communities. Previous experience with Minority Serving Institutions would also be of interest.
DEI training creation and facilitation
- Lead the iterative development of the UNEION 101 and 201 programs and of new related course levels, coordinate the team of 8 volunteer facilitators, research and collect readings for participants, coordinate pre and post surveys, and liaise with our external evaluator to assess the effectiveness of the course.
- Work with ODEI and Human Resources in the development, deployment, and facilitation of additional training around DEI topics.
Support for the UCAR Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategic Plan and Workplace Culture Survey
- Support the organization, research, content, and editing for the UCAR Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategic Plan, under the direction of the CDO.
- Support the UCAR Workplace Culture Survey process every 4 years under the leadership of the CDO, including working with external vendors and internal advisory committees, and co-developing ODEI’s response to the results of the survey.
Contracts, vendor management, and reports
- Manage the administrative needs and organizational support for internal and external advisory
- Manage contracts and vendor processes for ODEI to work with external organizations for e.g. facilitation, surveys, consultation, and evaluation.
- Help to coordinate the submission of funding proposals with direction from the CDO.
- Assist with the preparation of reports to UCAR management, funding agencies, and external advisory groups.
ODEI Programmatic Support
- Support other DEI-related programs such as the Rising Voices program, which collaborates with Indigenous Communities around weather and climate change.
- Support UCAR/NCAR staff with interpersonal work challenges through coaching and referral to appropriate resources.
- Collect, write, and edit content for institutional messaging regarding various organizational and societal issues as related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Support UCAR’s Employee Resource Groups.
- Support UCAR’s Next Generation DEI Fellows.
- Manage administrative needs and organizational support for internal and external advisory
- May travel to, set up, coordinate, and present information about UCAR at conferences or workshops in support of DEI.
This is a flexible position and a small team, and you may be assigned additional duties as the need arises.
What You Need:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (education, psychology, counseling, social work, social sciences, or similar) and three years of experience related to DEI.
- In lieu of education, additional experience related to DEI will be considered.
Useful but not required:
- Any additional qualification or experience in physical sciences
- Any additional qualifications or certifications related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A deep understanding of topics related to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong DEI facilitation skills and experience in teaching others from a wide range of backgrounds and identities
- High emotional intelligence and skilled in working across difference and meeting people where they are
- Proven ability to build relationships across difference
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to identify program opportunities and problems, to analyze constituent needs, and make suggestions for modifications to meet those needs
- Ability to support staff in difficult situations and provide support and coaching
- Ability to hold private information in confidence
Useful, but not required:
- Experience with strategic planning
- Experience with mediation
- Experience with applying qualitative and quantitative methods for assessment and improvement of program effectiveness
- Experience in a higher education or non-profit environment
- Experience with working with scientists and/or engineers
(Requirements When Applying)
1. A cover letter
2. Responses to the following three questions are required as part of your initial application. A place to enter these responses will be provided to you within the application process Responses should be approximately 500 words per question.
- Please tell us about your professional and personal experiences around diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, and how they have prepared you for this role
- Please tell us about your philosophy and approach to facilitating training and conversations about social justice topics
- As a team, we value trust and relationships first. How, in doing DEI work, have you built relationships and worked effectively with people who are cynical about or resistant to these topics?
3. We want to remind you that research shows that women and people of color, in particular, feel that they have to have 100% of the required *and* desired skills and experience before applying for a new job, while white men often apply to jobs where they, on average, meet only 40% of the listed skills and experience. If you meet the minimum requirements listed above and have the passion for the work, we strongly encourage you to apply. We can provide on-the-job training for the rest.
4. A pre-employment screening will be conducted in conjunction with making an offer, to verify previous employment, education, and references. A criminal background check or a credit check will not be conducted for this position.
5. For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, here is the link to the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategic Plan (pdf) and to the ODEI landing page.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.