- Graduate Position
Research Assistant (Doctoral Researcher)
- registration number: fb19-0015-wmz-2022
- Entry date: as soon as possible
- Salary: E 13 TV-H
- Duration: 3 years
- Volume of employment: part-time (75 %)
The position is offered for a period of 3 years.
The starting date is as soon as possible. The position is part-time (75 % of regular working hours) with salary and benefits commensurate with a public service position in the state Hesse, Germany (TV-H E 13, 75 %).
The project „Longitudinal variation of macroinvertebrate assemblages in Icelandic arctic glacier-fed and snow-fed streams: changes and their environmental drivers – a comparison after 26 years“, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), deals with the effects of glacier melt on the organisms in the glacier river Vesturi-Jökulsá. Based on permanent and seasonal measurements as well as faunistic studies, the changes in this aquatic ecosystem and the causes since the first study 26 years ago will be evaluated.
You will have the opportunity to conduct part of the investigation in the laboratories of our Icelandic project partners, giving you the unique opportunity to work at the University of Reykjavik and build an international network. You will be supervised both in Germany and on site in Iceland by experienced scientists consisting of geographers, biologists and hydrologists.
- preparing and independently conducting field work in Iceland
- analysis of the water and faunistic samples
- scientific research services
The position is limited to a time period deemed adequate for the completion of a doctoral degree. As part of the assigned duties, there will be ample opportunity to conduct the independent scientific research necessary for the completion of a doctorate. The limitation complies to § 2, 1 WissZeitVG.
- MSc-degree or equivalent in geography or comparable disciplines (e.g. biology, limnology)
- basic knowledge in the identification, taxonomy and ecology of macroinvertebrates of freshwater
- knowledge in the scientific area of hydrobiology or limnology as well as in statistical analysis of limnological data is desirable
- very good oral and written English skills
- a car driver's license is required to reach the measurement sites in Iceland
- the willingness to stay longer in Iceland - especially in the highlands - is expected (8 stays of 1.5 months each, interrupted by stays in Germany)
We actively support the professional development of junior researchers by the offers of Marburg Research Academy (MARA), the International Office, the Higher Education Didactics Office and the Human Resources Development Office.