Polar and Alpine Events Calendar
Webinar series: An Anchor Point to a Drifting World
Friday, 27 November 2020
10:00-11:30 a.m. Central European Time
The Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observation System (SIOS) announces the 6th webinar in their webinar series. This webinar, titled Marine Science in Svalbard - Global to Local Perspective, will take place on Friday, 27 November 2020 from10:00 to 11:30 a.m. Central European Time.
The webinar will use the momentum of the SIOS Marine infrastructure Network Workshop and shed new light on the global and local perspective of marine science in Svalbard.
The program for the webinar will be as follows:
- 10:00-10:10: Welcome and introduction to the webinar (Shridhar Jawak, SIOS Remote Sensing Officer)
- 10:10-10:25: Ocean predictability, observations and links to UN Decade of Ocean (Mark Payne, Technical University of Denmark [DTU])
- 10:25-10:40: Observational networks in Europe (Alejandro Orfila, Mediterranean Institute for Advanced Studies [IMEDEA])
- 10:40-10:55: Sea ice remote sensing (Anton Korosov, National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center [NERSC])
- 5 min break
- 11:00-11:10: Information talk about the icebreaker Laura Bassi (characteristics of the ship and tentative logistical plans for 2021)
- 11:10-11:30: Panel Discussion on the outcomes of the SIOS marine infrastructure network workshop and the next steps for the network
- Moderator: Inger Jennings, SIOS Logistics and Access Officer
- Panel: Manuel Bensi, Arild Sundfjord, Frank Nilsen, and Agnieszka Beszynska-Möller
A further note: SIOS play a very active role in encouraging Early Career Researchers (ECRs) to attend, participate, and contribute to SIOS activities. These webinars are an excellent chance to discover the exciting science that is going on in and around the Svalbard region. In the future, organizers would also like to encourage ECRs to present at these webinars. Those interested should get in touch with organizers to learn more.
For more information, go to:
To register, go to:
Webinar registration webpage