© Greta Wells
Submit a photo with a 1-2 sentence caption describing the location, date, subject of the picture as well as the name and affiliation of the picture author. We invite contributions in three categories:
Nature: photos expressing the complex natural dynamics in mountains, such as landscapes, environment, flora, and fauna
Culture: photos reflecting the cultural and social role of mountains, including people, architecture, customs, and religions
Research: photos of Data Collection/Analysis including field work, lab work, sample collection or computer modeling
Are you conducting or participating in a research project in the mountains? Tell us about it!
Under this topic we invite you to submit a graphical abstract about your research in mountain environments. The graphic should be targeted for a general (non-scientific) audience or undergraduate level. It must be able to stand alone (no caption), include a title (20 words maximum), and containe no more than 100 words on the image. The graphic should convey the following information:
· What do you study/which questions are you trying to answer?
· Where is your study site?
· Which methods are you using?
· Why is this work important?
The name and affiliation of the picture author also must be included.
Rules and Regulations:
1. The call is open only to APECS members. If you are not a member yet, please join before submitting you photo. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
2. This is not a competition; all entries will be displayed
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
1. Images and Graphical abstracts must be submitted via a submission form with the subject. The filename of your attached submission shall be named “Mountain Day2020_PhotoEntry_your name” (e.g. Mountain Day_PhotoEntry_FridtjofNansen) or Mountain Day_GraphicalAbstract_your name (e.g. Mountain Day_GraphicalAbstract_FridtjofNansen).
2. Information entered into the submission form has to include: Name, affiliation and email address of the person entering the call, an agreement by the photographer and possible persons on the picture that the photo can enter the call and be published on the website and a short description about the image/graphical abstract (100 characters maximum).
3. Indicate if you are interested in your image being featured on our APECS Instagram account (@apecs.polar) or Twitter account (@Polar_Resaerch) or Facebook account (@APECS4u). Include your handle, if you like.
4. Please give information if we are allowed to use the image/graphical abstract on the APECS website and/or APECS communication channels and/or for non-commercial promotional materials (e.g. flyers, posters) after the photo challenge.
5. Each participant can submit 1 image/graphical abstract.
6. Images have to be in JPEG format (preferably with resolution of more than 300 dpi) and without any watermarks.
The submission deadline is the 11 December 2020, 23:59 GMT.
COPYRIGHTS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
1. Each image/graphical abstract submitted must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
2. The participant shall retain the copyright to the image/graphical abstract entered for the call, however grants APECS unrestricted rights to use and edit submitted materials as needed for organizational purposes with or without explicit attribution.
3. By submitting an image/graphical abstract for the ccall, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations of the call and granted the organizer, APECS, royalty-free permissions to use the picture for promotional, commercial, or educational purposes (e.g. website, flyers, postcards). APECS will credit the creator for any use of the pictures.
4. Any people featured in the images/graphical abstracts must accept and agree with the rules and regulations of this call. It is the entire and sole responsibility of the participants in the call to inform and to obtain the appropriate legal permissions of all the people featured in the submitted images/graphical abstracts. Any depiction of minors (persons under the age of 18) that are identifiable in the photo must include explicit, written parental consent. Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
5. The participant further gives his consent that his/her personal data included in the submission will be used for the aforementioned purposes.