APECS is looking for a new interim APECS Executive Director for the APECS International Directorate Office based at the Research Centre of the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) in Potsdam, Germany!
Application deadline on 28 June 2020.
APECS is an international and interdisciplinary organisation for undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, early faculty members, educators and others with interest in Polar and Alpine Regions and the wider cryosphere. APECS aims to 1) create a network of polar researchers across disciplines and national boundaries to meet, share ideas, and experiences, and develop new research directions and collaborations; 2) provide the opportunity for career development for both traditional and alternative polar and cryosphere professions; 3) promote education and outreach as an integral component of polar research and to stimulate future generations of polar researchers.
The APECS International Directorate Office is funded and hosted by AWI in Potsdam until January 2022. APECS will be looking over the next year for a new host and sponsor for the APECS International Directorate Office from February 2022 onwards.
The interim APECS Executive Director will fulfill the position while it is still located at AWI (until January 2022) and the tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Leading and overseeing the APECS International Directorate Office and its staff members
- Guiding, overseeing, and enhancing APECS’s activities and developing new initiatives
- Maintaining regular contact with (and reporting to) the Executive Committee, the APECS Council, Project Groups, National Committees, membership, and Advisory Committee
- Providing mentorship, management training and support for APECS committees, project groups, project, events, and activities
- Facilitating the planning and organisation of APECS events and activities
- Fundraising for the APECS International Directorate Office and other APECS activities, including but not limited to working with the APECS Executive Committee to find a new APECS International Directorate host and sponsor from February 2022.
- Leading and managing APECS involvement in externally funded projects
- Ensuring that the structure of the organisation is maintained and runs effectively
- Liaising with APECS partners and sponsors, including major science funding bodies and polar organisations and institutions
- Maintaining institutional knowledge, documentation and communication tools
- Managing APECS’s communication and website
- Providing day-to-day administrative support to the organisation and members
- Managing APECS’s finances