Invitation to Participate
for the Arctic challenge, Norway 18 - 24 January 2017
Future activities and operations in the Arctic call for a broad understanding of the opportunities and challenges to ensure sustainable development. Emerging Leaders calls for young professionals and Ph.D. students/post docs to meet with representatives from academia, business and the public sector through an inspiring and educational program.
Emerging Leaders will take place from 18th to 24th January 2017. 30 selected candidates from different countries will participate in a blend of technical, social and cultural events accompanied by mentors from business, politics and academia. The program starts in the city of Bodø, then continues onboard the Norwegian Coastal Express “Hurtigruten” and ends in Tromsø, “the gateway to the Arctic”. To explore the marine resources and potential in the Lofoten Islands, a stopover will be made in Svolvær. The participants will be challenged to engage in discussions and presentations during the program.
The Emerging Leader program is linked to the topic of Arctic Frontiers 2017 "White Space – Blue Future" and includes the following sessions:
- Session 1 Politics and Security in the High North
- Session 2 New Conditions for Blue Growth
- Session 3 Technology Development and Arctic Business
- Session 4 Workshop, preparing a presentation
Emerging Leaders enrolls approximately 30 participants, under the age of 35, both Norwegians and internationals, with a blend of Ph.D. students/post docs and young professionals from the public and business sectors. The program fee is NOK 37.500 VAT included per participant. Ph.D. students/post docs affiliated with Norwegian university colleges, universities and research institutes may apply for a grant from the Research Council of Norway. Ph.D. students/post docs at research institutions abroad who has a scientific focus relevant for Emerging Leaders 2017 could also be considered. The fee covers:
- Accommodation (hotel accommodation for six nights) and transport (including Hurtigruten from Bodø to Stamsund)
- Food and cultural activities (including RIB trip and Lofotr Viking Museum.)
- Registration fee for the two-day policy section (23. – 24. January) at the Arctic Frontiers 2017 conference
Please note that registration is open until November 1st.