The International Arctic Social Sciences Association (IASSA) invites abstract submissions for the 10th International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences (ICASS X). This conference will convene 15-19 June 2020 in Arkhangelsk, Russia. 20 June will be reserved for additional excursions, such as the Solovetsky Islands. Abstract submission deadline is 10 October 2019.
The theme of ICASS X is Arctic Generations: Looking Back and Looking Forward. Research on social sciences and humanities have a great responsibility to address the challenges for sustainable development in the Arctic, with a specific focus on past, present, and future generations of Arctic residents. The generational nature of changes and responses have lately become more recognized by many policymakers and researchers. A focus on generations highlights the long-term, fundamental nature, and scope of changes, impacts, and adaptation strategies. Another focus of ICASS X is Indigenous knowledge and inter- and transdisciplinary research in the Arctic.
Organizers welcome sessions and papers on all facets of the Arctic and sub-Arctic. ICASS will also welcome contributions on all other subjects of relevance to IASSA members.
ICASS X themes will include:
- Arctic Futures, Scenarios, and Prospects;
- Arctic Infrastructure;
- Arctic People, Generations, and Places;
- Arctic Youth and Generational Relations;
- Art and Design;
- Economy, Labor, and Development in the Arctic;
- Environment and Climate Change;
- Gender in the Arctic;
- Health and Well-Being;
- Indigenous Knowledge and Knowledge Co-production;
- Indigenous Societies;
- International Relations and Science Diplomacy in the Arctic;
- Knowledge Systems and Education;
- Law and Legal Regimes in the Arctic;
- Migrations and Mobilities;
- Museums and Heritage;
- Religion and Spirituality;
- Research Methodologies;
- Resource and Extractive Industries;
- Settlements in the Arctic;
- Social Work in the Arctic;
- Technology and Innovation in the Arctic; and
The Call for Papers will be distributed in Fall 2019, with a preliminary list of sessions. Some travel funding may be available on competitive basis.
Abstract submission deadline: 10 October 2019
For more information, go to:
For questions, contact: