Earth Science Women’s Network Recruiting for Board and Associate Board of Directors
The Earth Science Women’s Network (ESWN) is recruiting multiple volunteer leadership positions, to fill vacancies on the Board of Directors (BoD) and Associate Board of Directors (ABD). ESWN is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to increasing diversity in the geosciences with an emphasis on creating and supporting a nurturing community, working for cultural change to eliminate barriers to a diverse scientific workforce, and empowering scientists through professional development. The primary duties of the BoD are to oversee and manage the fiscal responsibilities of the organization. The BoD also contributes to strategic planning, building partnerships, volunteer engagement, and communicating the impacts of ESWN to the broader public.
Associate Board of Directors serve as volunteer Chairs of committees and support the long-term vision of ESWN to change culture and institutions in the geosciences, to advance equity, justice, inclusivity, and community. Chairs are responsible for managing volunteers to fulfill the duties of each committee, or performing those activities themselves, and contributing to overall planning of ESWN development. The Associate Board (ABD) meets monthly, and works closely together on activities that cross multiple committees. For more information about ESWN’s activities, goals, and structure, please review our newly released Strategic Plan (LINK).
Interested members of ESWN are encouraged to apply to any and all positions that interest them. All applicants should have a demonstrated commitment to improving diversity and inclusion. We particularly encourage early career geoscientists and geoscientists working outside or adjacent to academia. Candidates from diverse cultural and educational backgrounds including LGBTQ people, people of color, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply through the form linked here: https://forms.gle/wJEuoUxWeHMATQ8f6
- Secretary (Board of Directors) Responsibilities: Manages ESWN documentation, helps coordinate between committees and between the BoD and ABD, serves a 3 year-term. This position is fiscally responsible for the non-profit with the other Board of Director Members. Preferred qualifications: Skills in organization and attention to detail. Experience working with non-profits.
- Chair of Development and Stewardship (Associate Board of Directors) Responsibilities: Leads efforts to fundraise for ESWN, including maintenance of a donor database, coordinates efforts to fundraise for overall development, special activities, and new initiatives, manages online store and merchandise, contributes to membership drives. Commitment is for a 2-year term that is renewable. Preferred qualifications: Previous experience with fundraising and grant-writing for non-profit organizations.
- Chair of Member Engagement (Associate Board of Directors) Responsibilities: Lead member recruitment and engagement efforts, manage volunteer requests, moderates online discussion spaces, welcoming and orientation for new members. Commitment is for a 2-year term that is renewable. Preferred qualifications: Experience with social media outreach.
- Chair of Member Events (Associate Board of Directors) Responsibilities: Manage and organize in-person and virtual member events, including maintaining a calendar of events, fundraising for events, engage with ESWN members to create member-led events, identify opportunities for new events. Commitment is for a 2-year term that is renewable. Preferred qualifications: Experience in design and execution of in-person and/or virtual networking events.
- Chair of Partnerships (Associate Board of Directors) Responsibilities: Act as a liaison with partner organizations (e.g. 500 Women Scientists, AGU). Facilitate and seek out partnerships with new groups and communities (e.g. MPOWIR, National Association of Black Geoscientists, Society of Latinxs/Hispanics in Earth and Space Science, and more!), create standards and processes for partnership, coordinate letters of collaboration, co-sponsorships, etc. Commitment is for a 2-year term that is renewable. Preferred qualifications: Active member of a potential partner organization. Skills in networking and relationship building.