Organizers invite abstracts for the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) Final Summit. This conference will take place 1-4 May 2022 in Montreal, Canada.
The YOPP Final Summit is the apex of the decade-long Polar Prediction Project (PPP) initiated by the World Meteorological Organization’s World Weather Research Programme in 2013. The conference aims to review progress, share key findings and success stories, and discuss and shape the legacy of the Polar Prediction Project. The summit will bring together polar science experts from operational prediction centers, academia and research institutes, government, and corporate representatives as well as northern communities and users of polar prediction services.
Contributors are invited to submit their abstracts on their research and achievements produced in the frame of PPP and YOPP, on the below topics:
- Advancements in polar prediction during YOPP (2017–2019) and their operationalization;
- Building international cooperation amongst the polar prediction community;
- Paving the way for the legacy of the Polar Prediction Project, to enable environmental safety in the Arctic and Antarctic in the future;
- Representation of polar processes in numerical models, with a focus on coupling of the atmosphere, ocean, and sea ice;
- Ocean and sea ice modelling and services;
- The MOSAiC expedition and other polar observation campaigns;
- Supersite multi-variate observations and process studies (YOPPsiteMIP);
- Observing System Experiments (OSE) and reanalyses in polar regions;
- Teleconnections linking polar weather to mid-latitudes predictability;
- Science to services: tailoring polar forecasting products and services to meet user needs; and
- Societal and economic implications of accessible, relevant, and usable forecasts.
Participation of Early Career Researchers (ECRs) is encouraged. A third Polar Prediction School will precede the YOPP Final Summit from 27–30 April 2022 in Rimouski, Quebec, Canada. Also, PPP Early Career Scientist fellowships will provide ECRs with the opportunity to showcase their research and networking with senior mentors at the YOPP Final Summit. For information about how to apply to become a YOPP Final Summit Fellow (self-nominations are welcome) and to participate in the Polar Prediction School, visit the YOPP website.
Application deadline: 15 November 2021
For more information, go to: