For the Art Competition, we aimed to encourage people from all age groups and backgrounds to share their view on Antarctica. The "Junior Art" category was for people of ages below 18, the "Senior Art" category for people of age 18 and above.
For the Photo Competition, we encouraged people to share their experience of Antarctica through their eyes; either from your own perspective (Category 1) or by showing you in Antarctica (Category 2).
The winners will be announced after a public vote following Antarctica Day.
Rules and Regulations:
- The competition is open only to APECS members. If you are not a member yet, please join before submitting you photo. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- Images that have won prizes in prior APECS competitions or have been used for commercial purposes will not be eligible.
- If you have won a prize in an APECS photo competition in the last 2 years, you are not eligible to submit a photo.
- You can participate in either Photo or Art Competition; you can choose only one of these categories.
- Members of the Antarctica Day organizing committee are not eligible to participate.
- Images must be submitted via the Photo/Art Competition Rules and Image submission form. The filename of your attached submission shall be named “AntarcticaPhotoCompetition2020_your name” (e.g. AntarcticaPhotoCompetition2020_FridtjofNansen)
- Each participant can submit 1 image.
- Indicate if you are interested in your image being featured on our APECS Instagram account (@apecs.polar) or Twitter account (@Polar_Resaerch) or Facebook account (@APECS4u). Include your handle, if you like.
- Please give information if we are allowed to use the photo/artwork on the APECS website and/or APECS communication channels and/or for non-commercial promotional materials (e.g. flyers, posters) after the competition.
- Images have to be in JPEG format (preferably with resolution of more than 300 dpi) and without any watermarks.
The submission deadline is the 10th December 2020 at 13 GMT.
- Each image submitted must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- The participant shall retain the copyright to the image entered for the competition, however grants APECS unrestricted rights to use and edit submitted materials as needed for organizational purposes with or without explicit attribution.
- By submitting an image for the competition, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations of the competition and granted the organizer, APECS, royalty-free permissions to use the picture for promotional, commercial, or educational purposes (e.g. website, flyers, postcards). APECS will credit the creator for any use of the pictures.
- Any people featured in the image must accept and agree with the rules and regulations of this competition. It is the entire and sole responsibility of the participants in the competition to inform and to obtain the appropriate legal permissions of all the people featured in the submitted images. Any depiction of minors (persons under the age of 18) that are identifiable in the photo must include explicit, written parental consent. Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
- The participant further gives his consent that his/her personal data included in the submission will be used for the aforementioned purposes.
- The images will be uploaded, by the organizers, to the APECS website, where a public online voting poll will be held until 16 December 2020 at 23:59 GMT.
- The image with most votes will be the winner.
- Results of the competition will be posted on the APECS website and social media.
The two competitions will have a total of 4 winners - 1 for each category, therefore 2 for each competition.
Winners will be awarded prizes, including INTERACT Fieldwork planning handbook and a monetary awards of €150 (one hundrend and fifty Euro) that can be only used towards attending a polar- or alpine-related conference or workshop (travel support, registration fee). Winners can claim their prize within 2 years from the day the grant is awarded.
Please note that the funds can be granted only to the APECS members. If you are not a member and want to be eligible for a funding award, we encourage you to join our community. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- Winners will be contacted by the APECS International Directorate Office with instructions for claiming the prize.